Is it really more than a week since my last post?! Wow… I thought it was long but not that long. Life flies when you’re busy, doesn’t it?
What have I been busy with? you might ask. RESEARCH! Research, reasearch, research – and reading, and studying (beside knitting, of course). I was actually doing quite a lot of that “behind-the-scenes” work that should make life easier when I actually get down to establishing my own business (I hope!) but doesn’t yield any apparent results to show you now, as in:
- reading books about starting a craft business (“Craft, Inc.” by Meg Mateo Ilasco, “The Handmade Marketplace” by Kari Chapin, “Beyond Amazon, eBay and Etsy” by Hillary DePiano and some others). Each of them gave me some great ideas for how to set things up and running;
- researching the possibilities of selling online (like Etsy vs. ArtFire, for example) and setting up an e-store (e.g. Vendio vs. eCrater);
- researching local regulations on starting a business;
- studying the instruction to my camera 😀 (in quest of making better pictures);
- planning future projects (when I don’t have the pleasure of sitting quietly and knitting).
There was also a “take-two” on the mouse-y slippers last weekend. It seems that after almost five years of raising children I still forget that you can’t make some cute thing and give it to one of them without making the same thing for another. So now two pairs of little mice run around our home (the second one, I might add, turned out better – with both right and left feet 😀 ), one of them adorned with little pink bows.
You see, it really isn’t so exciting as presenting the wide world with my beautiful knits, there’s nothing very interesting about all the reading and research (unless you yourself are starting the same kind of business, but in that case you would probably know all these things already) – except that I’ve promised to give the “behind-the-scenes” details from the very start of this blog – and therefore there’s not much I can do to make this account of my recent activities into a very catching reading material. Nonetheless, it is an inescapable part of my work/life as an aspiring entrepreneur, therefore the account is here 🙂 With hopes of not loosing too much of your attention and promises to show something real nice the next time I’m here 😀